1. Flying Carpets. Yes, they do exist.
2. Kinda dead cats. So there once was this guy named Schrodinger who, uh… well maybe you should just read this.
3. Likely confirmation of the Higgs boson. Just last month, scientists at the European Large Hadron Collider discovered convincing evidence of the long-sought Higgs boson. If true, it would be a huge step toward answering the questions of how and why particles have mass.
4. Light-bending Surfboards. Matt Lockyear has apparently constructed one. Just another step on the path to the real prize here… Harry Potter invisibility cloaks.
5. Spooky action at a distance. An awesome phrase coined by Einstein to describe the bizarre attributes of quantum entanglement.
6. Mysterious cosmic rays. 100 years later, we still don’t know very much about cosmic rays, including where they come from.
7. Twins who travel through time. Depending on how fast they’re both moving, special relativity tells us that Sue could live five years longer but still die ten years before Sarah, her twin.
8. The quest to make objects disappear. Speaking of Harry Potter invisibility cloaks, we’re actually not all that far off. We’ve also thrown in sound cloaks, water cloaks, and earthquake cloaks (don’t ask), just for kicks.
9. The appetite of black holes. Last year, astronomers witnessed for the first time a black hole devouring a star.
10. The (supposed) speed limit of light. Though they’ll continue to be tested for at least the next several years, researchers at CERN announced last year their findings of sub-atomic particles travelling faster than the speed of light. For those of you who aren’t science nerds, THAT CAN’T HAPPEN.
11. The Quantum Octopus. I’ll be honest… I still don’t understand what any of this is. But they call it The Quantum Octopus, and that alone boggles my mind.
12. The mirage effect. Though it’s completely different from achieving true invisibility, the video below attests to just how powerful the mirage effect is.
*Photo Credit: Windell Oskay (Creative Commons)[divider]
[highlighted]Tell us which one you think is the craziest in the comments below.[/highlighted]